Decorating a flower pot with clay

20150331_162254

After all that modelling I got the idea of creating a chimp or monkey head to be used as a flower pot. A nice practical way to create such a thing is maybe beyond me at the moment, but I’ve got a few ideas!

Although I’ve gone ahead and made a unified model of a chimp face, I think creating individual features like a mr potato decorating kit would work well. Instead I’m going to use an air drying modelling material and attach reproductioins of this clay model to a flower pot with glue.

20150409_150409

This is the clay model with silicone poured over it. I’ll hopefully use this as a mould to create some positives with modelling material.

Quick post today, but I would love to dedicate a post to one about context of the work I’ve made recently.

scaling up Artwork, part 6.

Below are some pictures showing the hair pinning progress! I’m so glad I’m Able to pin hair because I really wanted to try it and I think it’s a good way to get work looking realistic! will the hair come out? Its surprisingly hard to pull out but you can always apply some silicone caulk along the hair lines!
20150312_175942
20150312_180024

scaling up artwork, part 5

Part 5

After part 4 my model was mostly rigid all over, and I could start painting. Having used silicone and not latex I wondered whether my model would just peel off the foam I’d poured inside it, since silicone doesn’t stick to anything!. It probably would, but the layer of linen embedded in the silicone would provide more potential for the foam to grip to something.

Anyway about part 5.

How do you paint something as flexable as silicone? It’s a bit ad hoc, but a bit cheaper than those specialist paints for painting flexabale surfaces. you create a mix of spirits (turpentine) silicone caulk (different to rubber) and a pigment such as oil paint. This sets up like rock!

Here it is, painting a silicone model!
After pinning or attaching hair to the torso of the monkey I think I’ll be happy about the amount I’ve been able to scale up my earllier ideas.
How much further can it go? probably a 3d model of a chimpazee, but that is a bit out of my capabilities at the moment. Which reminds me, paper mache in large quantities might actually be my friend with large 3d models.

Evolving work no 2

evolving work no 2_ pic 3

The next step is punching or attaching hair to the monkey part of the model, which will be really cool!

Scaling up artwork, part 3 and 4

Part 3:

This involved pouring RGB silicone into my mould. I did two layers, one with linen cloth which became important later. I have no pictures sorry! that was really fun.

Part 4

Filling the silcone with polyurethane foam, then expanding foam. This was really fun also, you have to mix together two different parts and sit back and watch it grow. The hard part was figuring out the rough volume of my model. I could have poured water into the silicone mould and poured it back out but instead I just did a rough sum. It was something like a litre and a half, so that meant 400mls total of expanding foam (expands 4-5 times it original volume), 200ml of A and 200ml of part B. So far so good. Guess I underestimated the volume because It filled the model half way with foam. The foam you can see is expanding foam from the can, ontop of the other stuff.

All I can say is, get a accurate measurement of the volume your looking to fill and check the foams expanded volume.

evolving work no 2_ pic 2

Scaling up artwork, part 2

Hi friends

After a little hiatus of blog posts, I’ve got some updates to show off.

Here is the mould of my clay model from part 1. This was the second try,
normal plaster of paris was not strong enough and in true chaotic fashion
it broke in half when i tried to release the clay. I then had to repair the clay model and try again.
I’m so glad this time it worked. Even this plaster had a few tricks up its sleeve, as you can see!

Part two, making a plaster mould of the original model, DONE!

evolving work no 2_ pic 1

Spray paint and stencils

20141208_143133chimpanzee-wallpaper-funny

I found this amazing wallpaper of a chimpanzee online and decided to make a stencil with it. I used a few adjustments on photoshop to change it to monochrome, and turned up the black levels until I had something that would work as a one part stencil.

I can definatly make some improvements on this, but hopefully keeping it as a one part job!

Part two coming soon

Get your monkey’s out!

Scaling up artwork with clay, (step 1).

I’ve been trying to scale up one of my earllier mixed media works ( no picture, sorry). It’s going well so far. I have my composition of wheat plants cut out and layered up using some earthenware clay. I going to attempt to take a cast of this using plaster, and creatre positives using silicone and expanding foam. Exciting stuff! never done any of this before.

20141104_184704